Friday, August 20, 2010

Spencer's First Day of Kindergarten!!

I was so proud of myself for not crying when I dropped my little guy off for his first day of Kindergarten.  He was so happy and excited it was hard not to feel it too.  However, I did cry at lunch time when his chair was empty.  I missed my little guy a lot!  I took a few pictures before he left then Aaron took one when he got home.  I've always wanted to be a stay at home mom and have fresh baked cookies waiting for my kids when they got home from school so we could sit and relax and chat about their day.  It worked out beautifully!  The second dozen were coming out of the oven right when Aaron walked in with him and the first were cool enough to eat.  We all sat around the table and had a fun snack while Spencer told me about his day.  I took extensive notes that I'll put at the bottom of the post.

8/19 - Here he is all ready to go on his first day of Kindergarten.  He's so so cute!  He's got a baseball shirt (his favorite sport) and a green backpack - his favorite color.  I figured that would give him things to talk about with his new friends.  He's also got fireman shoes on which is one of many jobs he wants to have when he "gets big."

8/19 - We got there a little early for the bus and had to wait in line.  Here he is watching the bus drive up so he couldn't look at me.  He was so excited!

8/19 - He decided that he wanted to sit in the back.  He always sits in the back of the van and that seemed like the place to be on the bus.  Unfortunately he didn't understand that he could share a seat with someone else and had a bit of a hard time finding where to sit and kids pushed passed him.  He worked his way back out to the front of the bus to ask me what to do.  I had to snag a picture of him so cute and concerned.  I told him it was okay to sit with someone else and then he'd have someone to talk to on his ride.  That made him excited and he went back and sat with two boys in the second to last seat.

8/19 - My little man's bus driving off.  I was excited yet worried about him.  He's such a smart little man that I'm not worried about him that way.  I'm just worried that he won't make friends or be able to find where he's supposed to be.  It's such a big adventure and I remember being afraid myself when I went to Kindergarten.  It was a long long day until he got home.

8/19 - Here he is fresh off the bus.  He was tired but excited to tell us all about his day.  He got a bruise on his head which made me sad.  I sent him in perfect condition and got him back hurt but I guess that's what happens.  He didn't seem to mind it though and when I told him he had a bruise he had to go look in the mirror and thought it was so cool, like a war wound or something.  Funny kid!

Here's Spencer recounting of the day given while enjoying cookies with the family...

- First I got on the bus.  I had a hard time finding a seat.  I sat by a boy and a bigger boy.
- "While I was on the bus I smelled something pretty yucky." Aaron giggling, "what was it?"  "I think a skunk sprayed all over."
- I found my class.  It was easy, someone else's teacher helped me.
- I read two books and I played outside three times.
- I had a cheeseburger for lunch.  You could pick one, a cheeseburger or a salad.  I had milk to drink.
- I had snack time later.
- I drew with my markers and one brown crayon.
- In art class I had boring yellow paper.
- I didn't get to paint and feel really bad.  I have to wait until tomorrow.
- My teachers name is Mrs. Upah (you-paw).
- I followed the rules! (said very proudly)
- They have rules.  You don't run.  You don't shout.  You don't push people.
- A boy pushed me into a wall.  He wasn't following the rules.
- At the end I had to wait in the lunch room for my bus.
- Then I came home.
- I don't know about school.  It seems like a pretty cool place and I think I like it.
- How about I go play now.

I loved hearing all about his day and I hope he has another good one today!

1 comment:

  1. Jim and I loved the comments from Spencer on his first day of school. It reminds us of when our children went to the first day of Kindergarten.
    Jim remembers when a bully pushed him on his first day and he slammed him to the ground. The bully that is, (the bully was in the 3rd grade.) No one bothers Jim after that.

    ReplyDelete