Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Back to School Night

8/17 - To get ready for back to school night we had to get all his school supplies together and write his name on every- thing. Each crayon and marker and everything else had his name on it. It took a while to do but was sure fun getting to play with all his stuff. He also needed a 12 x 12 pillow for rest time which I made him with his name stitched on it as well as two pillow cases, one with dinosaurs and one with race cars, to make it easier to wash. We had to get a picture of him with all his loot.

8/17 - Back to school night was so much fun! It was our first exper- ience with anything school related so we were both so excited. We got to see his classroom, bring in his school supplies, look around at the school, and meet his teacher. He was pretty fast to find his desk and then he sat down all ready to go. It was so so sweet! He kept rubbing his little hands all over his desk while giggling and grinning and kicking his feet. When his teacher came over to say hi to him he said, "What are we going to learn today?" He was so sad to find out that this wasn't really his first day at school and that he wasn't going to be able to nap there on his new pillow. His first day is on the 19th but two days seems like a bigger deal for one so excited.

8/17 - Spencer and his teacher Mrs. Upah. She was so sweet and helpful and friendly. She made Spencer feel excited and calm at the same time and I know they're going to have a great year.


8/17 - After meeting his teacher they had a bus that we could explore. Spencer was so excited to climb on but I had to come with him. While I was climbing on he raced to the back and sat down and I coudn't see him. I asked if he was on the floor and he said no then he stood up and I saw his little tuft of hair over the seat. He's so small!

Later he came to sit up front with me. He got all settled in and then was looking around for his seatbelt. After considerable effort he asked me where it was. When I told him school buses don't have seat belts he freaked out and literally yelled, "I'M GONNA DIE!" It was so loud so many people looked to see what was going on. He then said, "Mom, I bet you should take me to school in our car so I can have a seatbelt and my booster seat." I reassured him that the bus was safe enough and that everyone watches out for buses and I think he felt a little better after that. We'll see on the 19th how he does. I hope he likes it because packing up all four to drive the 9 miles each way twice a day is probably more than I can manage right now.

1 comment:

  1. We loved the comments about dying, Jim and I could not stop laughing.

    ReplyDelete