Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Canning Peaches

 8/2 - This was my first ever attempt at canning. I went in expecting it to be hard but fun and in the end I guess I was right but it was probably more hard and more fun than I was expecting. I love Amelia posing with me in this pictures. She kept trying to "help" which added to the whole fun/hard. Here I am ready with all my supplies to can 25 pounds of peaches.
8/2 - The first hard part was peeling. I've heard that with peaches you can just drop them briefly in boiling water and then cold water and you can peel it off. Well, apparently I had stubborn peaches because we tried that method several times and for different lengths of time to no avail. Thus, I had to hand peel 25 lb of peaches.
8/2 - Here I am making the peach jam. This was much harder than just plain peaches but at the same time it was a lot more fun.

8/2 - The results of one day's hard work. Four quarts sliced peaches and eight pints of jam. I did the other half of the peaches the next day and made four more quarts of finely diced tightly packed peaches.

1 comment: