Thursday, March 13, 2008

Palmyra, New York

On the drive back from Mass. we took it a lot slower and got to see some interesting sites along the way. Here we are in the Sacred Grove in Palmyra, New York. This is where Joseph Smith saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and where the restoration for the Church began. The Spirit we felt here was amazing! There are few places and times where I have felt the love of God as strong as I did on that day. It was cold and windy but a beautiful experience and one I will never forget.

Here's Aaron and Spencer in the Sacred Grove. Spencer loved the trees and was interested in the story as we told him about what happened there and why it feels so special to be there.

Because of an amazing snow storm in Upstate New York (Buffalo got 20") we were stuck in Palmyra for the night. But it worked out well because the next day was beautiful with blue skies and we were able to get some awesome pictures of the Sacred Grove. Here's one of my favorites.

This is the Moroni monument on the Hill Cumorah. This is were Joseph Smith received the Gold Plates that he translated with the help and Power of God into the Book of Mormon. It was amazingly cold and windy so I went up there alone to take pictures. While I walked I thought of the times that Joseph Smith walked this hill. Again the Spirit I felt was overwhelming, so was the wind. On the top of the hill I was pushed over by the wind into the snow and had a hard time standing. It was worth it though and a great experience.

E. B. Grandin print shop where the first 5,000 copies of the Book of Mormon was printed. I wanted to go in but it was closed for the morning and we had to drive on.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun trip!!! We went to Palmyra this past september and it was soo hot and muggy! The snow looks very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so exciting you guys got to stop on Palmyra. I would love to go there someday! It must have been amazing to be in the same place where Joseph Smith had such an amazing experience

    ReplyDelete