Thursday, October 18, 2007

How I Met Aaron

This is one of our first pictures together. Yesterday was the anniversary of our first date. We put the kids off to bed and watched "While You Were Sleeping" and had some ice cream. It was pretty fun and a nice cheep date to remember the first. On our first date we went and watched Runaway Jury, not too exciting but it was kind of a last minute thing.

I met Aaron in September of 2003. I had just returned from Summer vacation to BYU and I was going to catch up with some of my friends. I went over to Mike Benson's apartment to see him and Aaron answered the door. I'm not kidding when I tell you I was awestruck. My first thought was, you're tall (he's 6'6" for those who don't know) then I was so busy picturing our happily ever after that I couldn't remember why I was there, sorry Mike. Meanwhile Aaron was standing in the doorway waiting for me to speak. When I finally came to I asked if Mike was home and he said no and I said thanks and ran away.

A couple of days later I heard that Aaron and his apartment went on a date together which made me think that Aaron had a girlfriend. So I busied myself with other things. Come to find out Aaron didn't have a date to the movie, he just went along. Well, I was in another guys apartment and he just turned to me and said, "You're so annoying, don't you ever shut up?" That was the end of that relationship. I pictured that tall cute guy and couldn't imagine him being that rude.

Well, the next day someone in my apartment spilled something and we didn't have a broom (amazing, I know) and I remember Mike/Aaron had one in their apartment. So I went back over to see Aaron with a mission. He answered the door again (rare, I've come to find out) and I collected my wits enough to ask for a broom. Then swept and brought the broom back with roommates for reinforcement if I found myself speechless again. For the first couple of times I went to see him I came up with really great excuses. I was happy when he showed interest in me because my excuse list was getting short. I went over to his apartment as soon as I finished my homework and he caught on fast and started doing his homework on the couch so he'd be ready for me.

On October 17th, 2003 I came over to hang out and Aaron asked me if I wanted to get out and do something. We decided on just a movie (I was having intestinal problems and on doctor's orders couldn't eat solids, long story). During the movie I gave him all the signs that I really liked him. I was leaning his way, touching him when I laughed, etc. Well, as he would put it he's "Captain Oblivion" and didn't notice. I guess he wanted to go to a movie to watch the movie, odd I know.

Our relationship progressed quickly. My parents found out that we were talking about marriage and they flew us out there in January so Aaron could have the "Dad Talk" before he asked me to marry him. We got back on Martin Luther King Day, January 19th and he proposed to me in front of the Mt. Timpanogos Temple, where we later got married on April 23, 2004.

And they lived happily ever after...

No comments:

Post a Comment