Monday, July 21, 2008

A bit of Bragging...

So I feel a little need for bragging right now and I'm sure you'll forgive me for tooting my own horn. Yesterday was the one year mark for my book blog. In the past year I have read and reviewed 92 books. It's been viewed 44,484 times (it slowed down a lot after school got out) and I've even had two publishers contact me to review books for my site. I'm pretty jazzed by the whole thing. It all started because I was reading a lot and thought why am I doing this, there should be a larger purpose. Also people would ask me if I've read something and I remembered reading it but I couldn't always remember if I liked it or why I did so it's nice to have the entries to look back on. To commemorate my one year here is a list of favorites among the 92. They are in no particular order. Click the title for a link to the actual entry on Bookworm Burrow.

Size 12 Is Not Fat by Meg Cabot - A murder mystery featuring former Pop Idol Heather Wells. It's a fun and chatty writing style that sucked me in and kept me reading.

Criss Cross by Lynne Rae Perkins - The story of several teens in a small town and their search to find who they are.

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld - This book is set in a world where everyone gets plastic surgery at the age of 16 to turn them supermodel beautiful but what happens when ugly is good enough? The whole series is good. Uglies is followed by Pretties, Specials, and Extras.

The Host by Stephenie Meyer - Some have said it's not as good as Twilight but it is still dang good writing and the science fiction element drew me in unexpectidly.

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
- Need I say more? If you haven't read it shame on you!! Pick it up today and thank me later. New Moon and Eclipse were also awesome. I can't wait for Breaking Dawn on the 2nd of August.

Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson - Historical Fiction surrounding the Yellow Fever epidemic that struck in 1793.

Princess Academy by Shannon Hale - A school is set up to teach young mountain girls how to act like a princess as they wait for the day when the prince will come and choose one of them for his bride.

There are a lot more on there that I loved but I can't list them all here these are the ones that stood out to me as I looked over the list. Feel free to brouse around and check it out. If you are one of the lucky ones who live in Iowa with me you are welcome to borrow anything you see, I think I own all but two or three of those I've reviewed.

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on all the reading and hearing back from people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is REALLY cool. Like, why didn't I think of stuff like that? The funny thing is that almost every book you listed is a book I've tried in the last year or so:) We should be book buddies. I'm really impressed by your blog.
    Have you ever thought about doing google adsense? The ads aren't the most visually appealing, but I'm betting you could easily rake in a couple hundred bucks a month, jsut for allowing ads on your popular blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to use adsense on my blog but they won't allow it on wordpress where it currently is. Which is totally lame because I could be making money off this. I guess I just have to wait until I get a newspaper job to make money, whenever that may be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Julie. You are a pretty big deal. Just thought I'd remind you. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are amazing. i would brag too. I check your bookworm burrow quite a bit when I'm looking for a good book and know I can trust your judgemnt. I still have to make it through "pillars of the earth" Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete